Tuesday, May 10, 2016

4% of the Globe



I like to consider myself an accomplished traveler. I've explored exotic locations from the ancient city of Macchu Pichu to the elephant haven of Chiang Mai. China revealed itself as a booming metropolis with centuries old villages nestled amongst the skyscrapers. And I've been privileged enough to see much of my own country.

But after putting together my travel list, filled to the brim with cities around the world, it became quite clear that I've seen nothing yet. So little, in fact, that I've only stepped foot in a measly 4% of nations worldwide. Four percent is embarrassing for a travel blogger. Especially one that has experienced all kinds of travel, from business, to pleasure, backpacking to sightseeing and shopping.

Anyone who knows me knows that I've got the travel bug. I constantly plan where I want to go, often times falling down the rabbit hole that is Pintrest looking at pictures that make my heart skip a beat with anticipation. Because someday I'll get to see it all for myself.

After having crossed off many of the destinations on my list, I have a rich variety of locations remaining:
Havana, Cuba
Antigua, Guatamala
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
St. Croix
Turks and Caicos
Antarctica
Petra, Jordan
Tel Aviv & Jerusalem, Israel
Marrakech & Casablanca, Morocco
Victoria Falls, Zambia
Cape Town, South Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Mt. Everest, Nepal
Vienna, Austria
Nice & Paris, France
Madrid & Barcelona, Spain
Munich & Frankfurt, Germany
Warsaw, Poland
Santorini & Athens, Greece
Reykjavik, Iceland
Istanbul, Turkey
St. Petersburg & Moscow, Russia
Phu Quoc & Hanoi, Vietnam
Hong Kong, China
Queensland & Sydney, Australia
Queensland, New Zealand
Montreal, Quebec
New Orleans, Louisiana
Savannah & Atlanta, Georgia

While these are the destinations I'm practically salivating over, combined, they still only make up 14% of the globe. How is one person supposed to see everything in the little time we have here on Earth? Let alone pay for it!

It looks like this travel guru needs to rethink travel style and start to understand the bigger picture. It's time to find ways to explore for less while enjoying more. Life is all about experiences. And there are few more satisfying than travel. Experiencing new places, people, flavors are part of the joy of life. Stepping outside of your comfort zone and trusting strangers builds character and requires bravery. I urge everyone I meet to open their mind to what travel has to offer. Travel as much as you can, folks. Because life is far to short to be kept grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment